[mythtv] mediamonitor: now ported to MythUI but UI to selection preferred media handler wasn't restored....

Roger Siddons dizygotheca at ntlworld.com
Tue Jan 15 22:41:49 UTC 2019

On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 21:00:22 +0100
Piotr Oniszczuk <piotr.oniszczuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> Roger,
>
> I’m not sure do we handling original’s issue (#12689) in optimal way
> here….
>
> Current code is more broken just before (inserting mp3 disc with
> pictures just launches gallery). So now we  can expect much more bug
> reports that those from corner case (which us rather rare: users with
> multiple drives).
>
> I’m not understanding why You choose this way of tackling issue
> instead of: 1.fixing bug
> 2.adding MythUI (when time allows)
> 3.adding udisks2 (not replacing of udisks1) (when time allows)
>
> All we are laking of time - but Your approach makes not only not
> fixing issue but also: -removes functionality for 2y
> -creating even bigger issue now
>
> sorry for not so nice message - but all this is simply pain for me….
>
> hope You understands my view here!

Well, it was a patch from someone else that caused the fault you
referenced: the frontend would apparently 'lock-up' on startup if 2 or
more media drives were detected.

That's not really a corner case - many frontends have 2 USB drives
permanently attached.
So I discussed it with the author and reverted the patch to resolve the
ticket in the meantime. I didn't hear back. There may be an updated
patch - I haven't looked recently.

Although udisks1 can operate alongside udisks2, Ubuntu stopped shipping
udisks1 a long time ago so to even test MM I would presumably have to
build from scratch. (I tested the recent UI change via a test harness).

I've never used the media monitor and I'm not that familiar with the
code, I'm also not competent to tackle udisks2 nor the competing
alternatives (storaged etc.)

Frankly, I'm not interested in platform-specific solutions. I would
choose to re-implement it using QStorageInfo but it's not high on my
to-do list, I'm afraid.

If there's no fixed patch and the original is acceptable for
Minimyth2, wouldn't the easiest solution be to reapply it in the
Minimyth2 build ? Apart from the dialog change, the code hasn't changed
in years. I can help merge it if necessary.