[mythtv] mythtv and AddressSanitizer?

faginbagin mythtv at hbuus.com
Fri Oct 12 01:15:06 UTC 2018

On October 11, 2018 6:50:19 PM EDT, Peter Bennett <pb.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:

>On 10/11/2018 06:36 PM, faginbagin wrote:
>> Has anyone tried to enable AddressSanitizer compilation of mythtv?
>>
>> Would the right approach be to add -fsanitize=address to CFLAGS
>and/or
>> LDFLAGS?
>>
>> I see configure has been modified to handle some ffmpeg
>toolchain-asan
>> options. Will that cause conflicts?
>>
>> Any other gotchas?
>>
>> I ask because I'm getting core dumps on a 32 bit laptop and the core
>> dumps aren't helpful. My plan is to install a 32 bit distro on a 64
>bit
>> machine and test there.
>>
>> TIA
>>

>I don't know about address sanitizer, but I may be able top help with
>the core dumps.
>
>Peter

I put one example on my web server. It's 50K worth of stack traces on all threads at the time of the core dump, so I assume it's too big to attach to this email:
http://hbuus.com/~buus/gdb.txt
It was caused by a seg fault in thread 1, well into some pretty fundamental Qt code. I seriously doubt it's a bug in Qt.

I've also seen core dumps in malloc, suggesting something stepped on malloc's data structures, which is something I think ASan could detect. I don't have an example on hand, sorry.

This is MythTV Version : v29.1-38-gb9c5f8b