[mythtv] FFmpeg plans

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Tue May 15 16:24:24 UTC 2018

On Tue, 2018-05-15 at 12:14 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
> If you cd to the base directory of the repo and run "git log -- mythtv"
> you only see the mythtv and mythtv subdirectory changes that were made
> in this repository but not any of the ffmpeg subtree changes that were
> imported via the subtree.  So we see the ffmpeg customizations that we
> applied here but none of those imported via the subtree. This is exactly
> what I would want to see.

This is because git log isn't aware of subtrees, so as it walks over
commits which are actually from ffmpeg it isn't seeing
mythtv/external/ffmpeg/foo/bar.c (which would match your mythtv
argument) it sees just foo/bar.c (which doesn't match the argument).

So it relies a bit on ffmpeg not having a top-level directory called
"mythtv" but that seems like a safe bet.

It's not future proof against the git devs make "git log" aware of
subtrees -- but you would hope/imagine that in doing so they would add
useful options like --no-subtrees at the same time.

> I cannot find a way of seeing a log of subtree imported commits using a
> path. Using mythtv/external/FFmpeg finds nothing, probably because when
> they were committed the path was just libavformat/ and not
> mythtv/external/FFmpeg/libavformat.

Correct (I should have read ahead before writing the above! I'll leave
it now I've typed it)

Ian.