[mythtv] Pushed android mediacodec support

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Jul 29 21:28:59 UTC 2018

On 07/29/2018 04:04 PM, Michael wrote:
> On 07/29/2018 12:39 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

>>> This is really great.   I am many others really appreciate the work
>>> you have done here.
>>>
>>> Are there plans to submit a package to the google store at some
>>> point or even provide a location for regular updates or is the
>>> expectation that people should compile their own?
>>>
>>> My instance which you gave me several weeks ago (20180620) has been
>>> running well enough that it is now my primary frontend. I took out
>>> my NVidia based frontend and retired it.
>>>

>>> Michael
>>>
>> It is still a work in progress. I am thinking of putting the package
>> on a web site where it can be downloaded and installed. As far as
>> google play is concerned, there is some disagreement on how to handle
>> different versions, frontend has to be built for the same version as
>> the backend. If people are running different versions of the backend
>> how will they get the correct version of frontend if google play
>> always supplies the latest version?
>>
>> Peter
>

> Yeah, the versioning issue is unfortunate.   Having a 0.29 package and
> a 0.30 package, etc all in the store would be a mess. Forcing people
> to update the backend just because of the frontend also is a mess.
> Its a shame the API isn't more transparent.
>

> Maybe at some point we just need a site where published versions could
> be hosted and available for download.

Try this link
https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_30/android_64/
You will see one package listed there, latest one I just built.
Full URL:
https://dl.bintray.com/bennettpeter/generic/mythtv_30/android_64/:mythfrontend-20180729-arm64-v30-Pre-689-g0246b5747d8.apk
Supposedly you can just run a link on your android device and it can
download and install for you if you have allowed installs from
unauthorized locations. I don't know if or how that works. I can use
this bintray site for distributing the packages eventually.

> If you have a few version that you think is stable, I am happy to test
> and provide feedback, but i am also happy just running the version I
> have for the time being.

See above
> Do you know how well the original firetv (not stick) works as a
> frontend?   I have one of those sitting in the closet that I could
> play with too.  But if it isn't good, then I will just buy another
> shield for my bedroom tv.

I don't know. It would need a 32 bit package. It may have a version of
android that is too old. The Mythfrontend package needs android 4.2 or
later.