[mythtv] Android OpenGL Performance

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 31 23:43:42 UTC 2018

On 12/31/18 6:26 PM, David Engel wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 05:05:33PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
>> In the latest master, Android OpenGL performance is now unacceptable.
>> I notice the UYVY option has been removed from settings. Does this mean UYVY
>> is now the default?
> That settings has been gone for a more than a week.  I think the
> default is now RGBA.
>
>> In most cases OpenGL is not able to keep up with playback and frames are
>> being dropped, where before it was keeping up successfully.
>>
>> NVidia Shield
>> With default setting (YV12 unchecked) - dropping frames on 1080i and 720p
>> content
> That's probably what I reported to Mark.  I don't remember seeing it
> with 720p, though.  I'll try to retest it later.
>
>>   - SD (480i) picture jumps up and down in a most disconcerting fashion (both
>> Linear Blend and kernel deint)
> I didn't try SD.
>
>> With YV12 checked - 1080i is OK but dropping frames on 720p content
>>   - SD (480i) picture is OK with linear blend
> I didn't distinctly notice any dropping with 1080i but a/v sync seemed
> to take longer than before after skipping.
>
>> Amazon Fire 4K
>> With default setting (YV12 unchecked) - dropping frames on 1080i and 720p
>> content
>>   - SD (480i) picture jumps up and down in a most disconcerting fashion
>> With YV12 checked - dropping frames with 1080i, 720p is OK
>>   - SD (480i) picture is OK
>> Fire 4K still needs "extra stage" checked otherwise sometimes the screen is
>> blank.
> I haven't tried my Stick yet with the recent code yet.
>
> David
I changed the parameters in AndroidManifest.xml.in to -v playback. I
think maybe we should use that as default so that users can easily see
from the log if there are playback issues such as dropped frames. Some
of the combinations were dropping fewer frames, so it was less
noticeable visually.

Peter