[mythtv] Android OpenGL Performance

David Engel david at istwok.net
Mon Dec 31 23:26:11 UTC 2018

On Mon, Dec 31, 2018 at 05:05:33PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> In the latest master, Android OpenGL performance is now unacceptable.
> I notice the UYVY option has been removed from settings. Does this mean UYVY
> is now the default?

That settings has been gone for a more than a week.  I think the
default is now RGBA.

> In most cases OpenGL is not able to keep up with playback and frames are
> being dropped, where before it was keeping up successfully.
>
> NVidia Shield
> With default setting (YV12 unchecked) - dropping frames on 1080i and 720p
> content

That's probably what I reported to Mark.  I don't remember seeing it
with 720p, though.  I'll try to retest it later.

>  - SD (480i) picture jumps up and down in a most disconcerting fashion (both
> Linear Blend and kernel deint)

I didn't try SD.

> With YV12 checked - 1080i is OK but dropping frames on 720p content
>  - SD (480i) picture is OK with linear blend

I didn't distinctly notice any dropping with 1080i but a/v sync seemed
to take longer than before after skipping.

> Amazon Fire 4K
> With default setting (YV12 unchecked) - dropping frames on 1080i and 720p
> content
>  - SD (480i) picture jumps up and down in a most disconcerting fashion
> With YV12 checked - dropping frames with 1080i, 720p is OK
>  - SD (480i) picture is OK
> Fire 4K still needs "extra stage" checked otherwise sometimes the screen is
> blank.

I haven't tried my Stick yet with the recent code yet.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net