[mythtv] Playback next steps

Peter Bennett pb.mythtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 21:58:16 UTC 2018

I have added support in MythTV playback for VAAPI2 (VAAPI plus
deinterlace plus ability to handle format changes) and Mediacodec. I
plan to do the same for NVIDIA CUDA/NVDEC.

However these new methods are passing images through main memory on
their way to the output and using the existing OpenGL code for
rendering, We need to pass images directly from decoder to graphics
output to improve efficiency and to support 4K video at 50 fps. The next
task will be to support this. I am not sure how this will work. The
existing OpenGL code in MythTV does a lot of processing of each image
and in order to achieve the required performance, some of this may have
to be avoided. It may entail a new type of lightweight opengl that
leaves out the extensive opengl processing of images currently
undertaken, or may require new types of video rendering.

My knowledge / experience with OpenGL is very little and I have found
the existing OpenGL code rather difficult to understand.

If anybody has information/ideas about how to proceed with this please
let me know.

Peter