[mythtv] FFmpeg plans

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 18:08:41 UTC 2018

> On 30 Apr 2018, at 7:52 pm, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 2018-04-30 at 12:37 -0400, Peter Bennett wrote:
>>
>> This is essentially what we do at the moment. We delete the source
>> code,
>> copy in the new source, and then work at re-applying all of our
>> changes.
>> I am trying to improve on that process, which is rather time-
>> consuming.
>
> Sure, but this is worst-case scenario.  I have not tried to switch
> branches with git subrepo (nor git subtree as I have not even used
> that).  Maybe it's easier than that.  But it's also only something you
> would ever have to do (again, in worst-case) when switching upstream
> tracking (i.e. release) branches, so I think you are still better off.

I’ve never seen a case where ffmpeg didn’t break API between version.

Updating automatically ffmpeg from a subrepo is just not going to work, there’s just no project that does what you’re stating. Every single project checkout a particular version of ffmpeg and stick to that version until the next stable release. It’s the one it’s tested against, and patched if necessary.

The only exception to this I can think of is mplayer, and ever attempted to checkout an older version of mplayer (which always pull the latest version of ffmpeg) ? Good luck. mplayer current checkout will work with ffmpeg of the day, never day to perform a bisect or attempt to lookup for a regression.

So not having to continually rebase our changes and particularly configure is one thing.

but all this talk about automated, git subtree vs subrepo and so forth, I’m sorry to say, clearly show you’ve really have never worked with ffmpeg before. Otherwise we wouldn’t have reached 24 messages in this thread.