[mythtv] Regression in Previously Recorded

David Engel david at istwok.net
Tue Nov 14 20:08:44 UTC 2017

On Tue, Nov 14, 2017 at 02:12:50PM -0500, Peter Bennett wrote:
> On 11/14/2017 12:25 PM, David Engel wrote:
> > Hi Peter,
> >
> > I found a small regression in the new, Previously Recorded screen.
> > When the key bound to the DELETE action is pressed, it brings up the
> > Delete Options menu.  Previously, it went straight to the delete this
> > episode confirmation dialog.  Would you like me to open a ticket for
> > this?  Alternaively, I can fix it myself if you dont' have the time.
> >
> Hi David
>
> Perhaps you can give me guidance on the best arrangement. There are three
> menus in the new Previously Recorded
>
> Enter / Select
> "Allow this episode to re-record" or "Never record this episode"
>  "Remove this episode from the list"
> "Remove all episodes for this title"

> Same as Enter/Select (different wording - that is bad and should be fixed -
> bad duplication of code also).
>
> M(menu)
> Sort
> Edit Schedule
> Custom Edit
> Program Details
> Upcoming
> Channel Search
> Program Guide
>
> I can change Delete to go direct to "remove episode"
> Should the full list of Delete options be on Enter/Select on in the M(menu)
> list? Or else what should Enter/Select do?
>
> Somebody had said the most common actions need to be on Enter/Select and the
> others on M(menu).

That was me who said that.  I don't know if it's officially
docuemented anywhere, but here's the guidelines I try to follow.
Pressing SELECT should bring up a menu with the most common actions
(limited to about 3 to 5) relevent to the currently highlighted
"thing" (*).  Pressing MENU should bring up a menu with additional,
less common actions and other actions that affect other things about
the screen (like sorting, etc.) (**).  Pressing other keys like INFO,
PLAY, EDIT and DELETE should act as shortcuts to choosing one of the
options on either of the menus.

In the case of Previously Recorded, I use the delete episode and
delete serires options about equally.  When I did the previous menus
for that screen, I bound the DELETE action to delete episode instead
of delete series on the basis that it was less dangerous.

(*) Note that there are exceptions to this.  One very notable one is
the Watch Recordings screen where pressing SELECT starts playing.
Personally, I'd like to fix that and do away with the whole,
unintuitive, "double menu" thing on that screen.

(**) It's also been suggested that we should have something like
ITEMMENU and SCREENMENU actions for each screen.  Then, users could
bind those keys differently if they don't like the default bindings.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net