[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Peter Bennett pgbennett at comcast.net
Mon Mar 13 15:25:24 UTC 2017

On 03/13/2017 10:41 AM, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> I would prefer the ability to specify the network mask (in IPv4 terms)
> or the subnet size (for example /58) in IPv6
>
> especially in IPv6 because of SLAAC you cannot determine the subnet
> size from the local network information, as all routing happens on /64
> boundaries (or /128 for point-to-point).

I am trying to simplify setup for the new user as much as possible. The
way I have it, it provides security against intruders for home users or
users of small networks, without them needing to do a lot of setup or
have a deep understanding of their network architecture.

I could allow input of subnet size, but that would need to be input for
each subnet that you have. This seems complicated. Also your IP
addresses can change. The IPV6 global addresses can be changed by your
ISP and that may invalidate what you have set up for a subnet you no
longer have.

If you need wider access you can turn off the ip address filtering and
then use another mechanism or firewall to restrict traffic.

Peter