[mythtv] Proposed change to Network Communications

Rudy Zijlstra mythtv at grumpydevil.homelinux.org
Mon Mar 13 14:41:32 UTC 2017

On 03/13/2017 03:33 PM, Peter Bennett wrote:

> On 03/12/2017 08:08 PM, Derek Atkins wrote:
>> Stuart Auchterlonie <stuarta at squashedfrog.net> writes:

>>> So the same applies to ipv4 as it does to ipv6.
>>>
>>> Accept connections from subnets the backend has interfaces in.
>> Generally I think that would work..  Although in my case I have both a
>> public net (an historic class-C) as well as an RFC-1918 network, plus
>> several IPv6 networks.  Not all hosts are all actually on all networks,
>> but I do want access from hosts on all of them.
>>

> The default settings will listen on all ip addresses and only accept
> connections from a subnet that you are on. You will be able to select
> checkboxes to
> 1. Listen on all ip addresses vs restrict listening to one ipv6 and
> one ipv4 address as at present
> 2. Allow traffic from all subnets as at present vs restrict to subnets
> that you have.

I would prefer the ability to specify the network  mask (in IPv4 terms)
or the subnet size (for example /58) in IPv6

especially in IPv6 because of SLAAC you cannot determine the subnet size
from the local network information, as all routing happens on /64
boundaries (or /128 for point-to-point).

Cheers

Rudy