[mythtv] Building myth against qt5.8

Roger James roger at beardandsandals.co.uk
Wed Feb 1 07:31:06 UTC 2017

On 31 January 2017 9:33:07 pm Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, Jan 31, 2017 at 9:00 PM, Roger James
> <roger at beardandsandals.co.uk> wrote:
>> I am trying to download a minimal set of qt5.8 source submodules to build
>> Mythtv against. The full download is massive. I have grabbed qtBase and
>> qtscript so far. I am missing the sources to build  libQt5WebKit,
>
> I believe that QtWebKit has been removed from
> the source(s), as QtWebEngine is now the only
> supported solution, and QtWebKit is being
> maintained independently over at
>    https://github.com/annulen/webkit
>
> "Someone" (and maybe that someone is you?) is
> going to have to step up and port from QtWebKit
> to QtWebEngine(*).  The initial steps can be
> mechanized (mostly it is just rename functions),
> but there are always more subtle changes required.
>
> Here is a quick porting document (there are
> others floating around too if you are going to
> do the work)
>    https://wiki.qt.io/Porting_from_QtWebKit_to_QtWebEngine
>
> It is possible someone else has a stash somewhere
> with initial work that may be valuable, if you are
> going to look into such a port, so you might want
> to ask that explicitly if you are going to start the
> port.
>

> (*) I know it has been discussed as a long
> term developer task previously, so I think
> it may be on someones list as something
> someone is going to have to do, eventually.

So QtWebKit from Qt disappears after 5.5. Ubuntu 17.04 freezes in two weeks
time with qt5.7.

Looks like if I want to test Qt > 5.5 on current Ubuntu 16.04 I will have
use Ubuntu's own qt5Webkit5 source package and build that against the newer
Qt install.

Oh joy.

I was only trying to get past what appears to be a Qt 5.5 related
mythfrontend crash.

Or am I missing something here?

Roger