[mythtv] 0.28 Release Schedule

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 18:01:14 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 3:19 PM, Lawrence Rust <lvr at softsystem.co.uk> wrote:
> Not impossible, just more thought provoking.  It doesn't prevent the
> development of code using new Qt features, only they are conditionally
> compiled.

I think having someone who is willing to provide the cycles to
maintain backwards compatibility can only be described as
goodness.  I certainly can not imagine any objection for you
taking on that code janitor role to providing backward
compatibility.

On the other hand, forcing every other contributor to compile
and test in every conceivable compilation environment is not
the way to move the project forward either (I have in the past
done the double/triple/quadruple testing (not just coding and
hoping it works, but actual testing)) needed for some past
contributions, but that was a substantial overhead.

> When Ubuntu 16.04 or FC24 ship will you deprecate Qt 5.4 usage to take
> advantage of C++11 compiler features in Qt5.5 like lamdas, const_exprs
> etc ?

This (lamdas, etc.) has already been discussed and accepted
as a (longer term) plan to simplify and accelerate work going
forward.  Are you stating that the developers have renounced
that plan, or that you are planning and willing to provide the
code janitor workarounds?  There is a difference (and I
presume the decision will be announced at least in the
coding standards documentation).

The reality (to me) is that this project, like many others,
has not had the resources to provide long term backwards
compatibility.  The point of long term vendor support is that
you get what you get, and there is no assurance of future
features (if it works, it works, and it may ship, but if you
want <feature> you may need to upgrade, or take on the
effort to backport).  That is true for Enterprise Linux and
Long Term Support vendors (and also Microsoft; Windows
7 is still was "supported", but the end of mainstream
support means no new features).

I, for one, appreciate your willingness to take on the
code janitor role, for it tends to be a lot of work with
little or no payback and recognition.