[mythtv] Raspberry Pi dev branch

Lawrence Rust lvr at softsystem.co.uk
Sat Dec 19 09:16:52 UTC 2015

On Fri, 2015-12-18 at 22:16 +0100, Warpme wrote:
> On 18/12/15 17:20, Lawrence Rust wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I would like to push a number of patches to support the Raspberry Pi.
> > However, some of the patches affect OpenGL, in particular the GUI and
> > video rendering, which could affect many other systems so I'd like to be
> > cautious.
> >
> > I have created a devel/lvr/rpi branch with the proposed patches (45 in
> > total).  I would appreciate any comments, suggestions or bug reports
> > before I finally commit them to the master branch.
> >
> > The patches are grouped into and affect these areas:
> >
> > - configure.  To support cross compilation
> > - UPnP.  To support Qt builds without SSL
> > - UI.  To support the Qt EGLFS platform (OpenGLES)
> > - ALSA.  To work around some differences on the RPi
> > - TV.  Fix some problems with the softblend OSD.
> >
> > The UI group includes some significant changes to the OpenGL code so I
> > would appreciate any feedback on compatibility or bugs.  Notably I have
> > tested only on Intel systems with integrated graphics as I don't have
> > any current Nvidia or Radeon graphics adapters.  The OpenGL changes will
> > affect the Android platform the most, so anyone who can test this area
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > The patches provide the following new features:
> >
> > - An OpenMAX video decoder (h/w accelerated).  NB a license file is
> > required for MPEG2/4 decoding on the RPi.
> > - An OpenMAX video renderer with an EGL based OSD.
> > - An OpenGLES 2.0 based video renderer.
> > - GUI rendering by Qt (EGLFS and X platforms) or by OpenGLES.  The
> > OpenGLES GUI is still buggy (Qt 5.4.0) so is only enabled if the GUI is
> > specifically set to OpenGL.
> > - An OpenMAX audio renderer with support for EAC3 & DTS pass through.
> > - An OpenMAX audio decoder.  This is currently incomplete as the RPi
> > OpenMAX implementation doesn't support common MP1/2/3 or AC3 formats due
> > to licensing restrictions.
> >
> > OpenMAX is also available for Windows so it may be feasible to use these
> > patches on that platform too.
> >
> > -- Lawrence Rust

> Lawrence,
>
> Thx for great work with RPI.
>
> FYI:
> I just give try for cross-compiling rpi branch on minimyth2.
> It cross-compiles OK.
> I tested basic functions on:
> -AMD E-2100(Kabini with VDPAU on mesa 11.0.7)
> -i5 NUC (HD4000 with VAAPI)
> -ION1 (VDPAU on nvidia BLOB).
> So far no issues with UI nor HW accelerated playaback.

Thanks for confirming that OpenGL is OK on these platforms.

> Only thing catching my eye is different animation style.
> Namely: "pleas wait" dialog when PBB loads list of recordings is
> "flying" from upper left to right down corners of screen.
> Original master has this dialog fade effect.
> It this result of any modifications in RPI branch or rather king of bug?

There are changes in the 'parenting' of some dialogs to make them work
with Qt 5.4 EGLFS.  Maybe this has affected the UI animations.  Would
you look at the mythfrontend log output and tell me:

- What version of Qt is this (runtime & build)?
- What is QT_QPA_PLATFORM?
- What 'painter' is in use? (Using the xxx painter)
- What theme is in use?

I'm no expert on the UI animations but I believe the dialogs are
supposed to move & fade - please correct me.

-- Lawrence Rust