[mythtv] Announce: Drop of support for 32 bits mac

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sun Aug 2 01:48:47 UTC 2015

> On Aug 1, 2015, at 7:08 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi.
>
> This is a head up.
>
> As you know mythtv has moved to Qt 5 a few months ago.
>
> I'm working in updating the code so it compiles on mac.
>
> Qt 5 on mac now only officially supports 64 bits mac and the Cocoa framework.
>
> On mac we still had support for 32 bit carbon framework and the Quarts
> rendering engine.
>
> As we can't compile the mac code in 32 bits any longer, I see no
> purpose in keeping support for it. It's old code, unmaintained and a
> pain to keep alive.
>
> As such, I'm removing all supports for universal build (combined 32
> and 64 bits) ; quartz and all carbon related code 32 bits support.
>
> For those who needs 32 bits support, they will have to stick to 0.27

Many thanks for working on this.  Going 64-bit only seems very reasonable to me.

Do you know what is the minimum version of OS X required for QT 5?  I believe I heard that 10.7 or later is required for QT 5.4 (or maybe 5.5) but I’m not certain.

With the release of El Capitan (10.11) right around the corner, the only Apple-supported OS versions will be the latest plus 10.10 (Yosemite) and 10.9 (Mavericks).  Have you worked out how far back you’ll build for?

Thanks again.

Craig
(The MacPorts guy.)