[mythtv] Couldn't upgrade database to new schema

Janusz S. Bien jsbien at mimuw.edu.pl
Thu Oct 16 10:07:49 UTC 2014

Quote/Cytat - "Michael T. Dean" <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> (śro, 15 paź
2014, 03:54:29):

> On 10/13/2014 12:36 PM, Janusz S. Bien wrote:

[...]

>> Today I've compiled it on a fresh installation of Debian sid on
>> another computer.
>>
>> I've created the database from the scratch and got the old problem
>> when running mythtv-setup:
>>
>> Couldn't upgrade database to new schema.
>>
>> I'm still looking for suggestions.
>
> Your previously-shared log output had no useful information--to the
> point of not having any of the information that should appear for
> any database upgrade failure--so i can't do anything other than
> guess what may be happening.

This is in my opinion the essential part of the problem: why I don't
get "the information that should appear for any  database upgrade
failure"? Why mythth-setup doesn't provide any clue about the failure?

I've switched on the mysql log, but i don't see anything suspicious in it:

http://pastebin.com/2rBuJpsr

The console log is also available for completeness:

http://pastebin.com/yft4Dp4B

> So, is this an attempt to create a brand-new, empty database schema
> (as opposed to an actual upgrade)?

Yes, and a brand new system (Debian sid).

If so have you actually let
> mythtv-setup fail and then immediately restarted mythtv-setup to see
> if it succeeds?

I've restarted mythtv-setup several times for several reasons - by
mistake the first invocations were not logged and now I only vaguely
remember that I followed Wiki to solve some minor issues. Now I always
end at "Couldn't upgrade database to new schema"

BTW, Google provides several hundred hits for this message. The hits
checked by me doesn't seem relevant for my problem, because in other
cases always some additional error messages are available.

Best regards

Janusz

--
Prof. dr hab. Janusz S. Bień -  Uniwersytet Warszawski (Katedra
Lingwistyki Formalnej)