[mythtv] Fwd: MYTHTV -> GPL Violation (someone violating Mythtv GPL License)

Warpme warpme at o2.pl
Thu Jun 26 17:49:03 UTC 2014

On 24/06/14 22:39, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-06-24 at 21:54 +0200, Warpme wrote:
>> As promised: https://github.com/warpme/minimyth2
>> Happy compiling!
> As one of the people that gave you a hard time, I will say much thanks!
>
> A question though... given that minimyth2 is a FE only distribution,
> what will it's commitment to tracking -fixes and/or compatibility with
> the BE be?  Clearly if there is no database API differences in an entire
> -fixes release stream, it's pretty easy to stay compatible but at that
> point in -fixes where a change is made that requires a synchronization
> of FE and BE what will your policy be?
>
> Perhaps one way to handle this is to keep a history of releases
> available so that people can match their BE release.  If you rebuild a
> MM2 on every commit to -fixes and continue to keep the past builds
> people can choose whichever one they want.
>
> Thoughts?
>
> b.

Brian,

mm2 has 2 incarnations: public build and private build.
Strict policy for public build is oob cooperation with stock -fixes backend.
Here, rule of thumb during backporting commits from master is: NO any
changes in PROTO & DB

Private build is build where backports should be applied also for be.
Private build is much closer to master - but commits are preselected in
a way that I'm still able revert whole system to -fixes (or revert given
problematic commit) with minimal/zero impact on uptime. Basically I'm
trying here achieve max factor of WAF*New_features
By this I'm not publishing private build.

Generally - one from key differences between mm1 and mm2 is 'first use'
paradigm.
While mm1 is based on 'configure then run' concept, mm2 concept is 'run
then customize'.

br