[mythtv] Please explain the usage (valid arguments) of the mythfilldatabase "--sourceid" option

Fox fox.mythtv at monemail.fr.nf
Tue Apr 15 16:54:54 UTC 2014

On Apr 15, 2014, 4:56 AM, stuart wrote:
> On Tuesday 15 Apr 2014 06:39:26 Fox wrote:
> > > Try one run with --sourceid 1, and then second run with --sourceid 2.
> >
> > Thank you, that does work. I would still like to know whether there is any
> > way to specify multiple sources in --sourceid, or if you actually need to
> > run mythfilldatabase once per source.
>
> If you specify no arguments to mythfilldatabase then it will run once grabbing
> data for each source in turn.
>
> FWIW, it's not necessary to run it manually as you are currently doing unless
> you have a good reason. 'Out of the box' it will run automatically once a day
> with no additional arguments or configuration required.

Perhaps that's how it's supposed to work, but in my testing, if you specify no arguments it only grabs data for source 1 and ignores source 2.  If I do what dekarl suggested, then it will grab the data from both sources.

The reason for doing it manually is because I'm trying to find a way to generate data for free-to-air satellite channels, which are not covered by traditional listings, but can be received using cards such as the ones such as the ones listed on this page:

http://linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/Category:DVB-S2_PCIe_Cards

The wiki page on this subject at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/User_Manual:Setting_up_DVB-S_for_satellite appears to offer no suggestions for getting schedule information, which is understandable, because there is no central repository of schedule information for many of the available channels.

Note that I would only be doing this with true free-to-air signals.  I have no intention or desire to try to "pirate" encrypted commercial signals.

This is just a first attempt to see if this would even be feasible. If I can't even get the mythfilldatabase part worked out, there's no sense in going further.

After this, I would need to actually figure out the format of the xmltv.xml file.  But if I can't get the simplest part to work, then there is no sense even attempting the hard part, which is actually creating a custom MythTV compatible .xml file.

I'm only at the initial stages of looking into this and don't have one of those cards yet, so would be interested to know if anyone else has attempted something like this, or has recommendations for cards that are compatible with MythTV, without a lot of headache involved in getting them to work.

I already have the other parts of a satellite receiving system, including traditional non-networked receivers that cannot be used with MythTV, but I'm trying to decide if it would be worth attempting to bring those signals into MythTV.  Being able to include ad hoc schedule information would be a motivation to move forward with that project.