[mythtv] Getting a fix for broken UPnP on Samsung TVs into 0.27

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 18:21:09 UTC 2013

On 13 September 2013 18:29, Gary Buhrmaster <gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > With 0.27 imminent and fixes still being committed, I'm wondering if there's
> > anything fundamental stopping a very simple patch being committed to remove
> > one of the the two leading slashes in UPnP URLs received from recent Samsung
> > Smart TVs?
>
> Historically, upnp (and DLNA) changes are fraught with issues.
> Every fix for one platform seems to break another.  What are
> your results of testing on all other known working players
> from other manufacturers?  While this particular patch seems
> reasonably innocuous, I know from experience that upnp is
> anything but universal.
>
> I observed that one of the devs is reviewing the upnp/dlna specs
> to fix MythTV where it is out of compliance.  Perhaps this should be
> added to his review (it is also possible that the Samsung device
> is out of spec, and you need a firmware update).  I suspect that
> "a" solution would be to use one of the independently maintained
> upnp implementations such as platinum that would (at least)
> make MythTV consistent with many other open source projects,
> but that (from a 10 second look) looks like a lot of work too, and
> there is no assurance that would fix any particular vendors
> broken implementation.

Thanks so much for the quick response. I'll mention this to the
colleague I was talking to yesterday (which triggered this query) and
find out if a) his firmware is up-to-date and b) if the patch can be
tested on other brands of TV apart from Samsung to see if there are
any obvious side effects to this seemingly innocuous change.

Using a supported and actively-developed third-party UPnP
implementation would seem to be the most sensible (and Unixy) option
going forwards, rather than adding brand-specific fixups as issues
such as this are found. Standards, standards, standards...

Cheers,
Nick