[mythtv] Getting a fix for broken UPnP on Samsung TVs into 0.27

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 17:29:21 UTC 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 5:16 PM, Nick Morrott <knowledgejunkie at gmail.com> wrote:
> With 0.27 imminent and fixes still being committed, I'm wondering if there's
> anything fundamental stopping a very simple patch being committed to remove
> one of the the two leading slashes in UPnP URLs received from recent Samsung
> Smart TVs?

Historically, upnp (and DLNA) changes are fraught with issues.
Every fix for one platform seems to break another.  What are
your results of testing on all other known working players
from other manufacturers?  While this particular patch seems
reasonably innocuous, I know from experience that upnp is
anything but universal.

I observed that one of the devs is reviewing the upnp/dlna specs
to fix MythTV where it is out of compliance.  Perhaps this should be
added to his review (it is also possible that the Samsung device
is out of spec, and you need a firmware update).  I suspect that
"a" solution would be to use one of the independently maintained
upnp implementations such as platinum that would (at least)
make MythTV consistent with many other open source projects,
but that (from a 10 second look) looks like a lot of work too, and
there is no assurance that would fix any particular vendors
broken implementation.

Gary