[mythtv] Submitting Feature Request

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Mar 22 00:16:33 UTC 2013

On 3/21/2013 17:42, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:

> On Friday, 22 March 2013, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>
>>> Jean-Yves' suggestion of opening a ticket & doing a Git pull
>>> request does
>>> seem the way to go.
>
>> Please do not do this.  Github is only a secondary mirror, with MythTV
>> running a private Git server for development.  That means Github pull
>> requests cannot be processed through the website, do not automatically
>> detect merge and close on their own, and most of us developers do
>> not have
>> administrative permissions on Github to close them manually.  A year ago
>> when Github was our primary repository, they were fine, but now,
>> they just
>> end up being a hassle to deal with.
>
> Who said you have to use GitHub to make pull request? I don't believe
> anyone mentioned GitHub but you so far.

A "pull request" is a term specific to GitHub. A git "request-pull"
creates a URL to allow one to manually pull a change set from a remote
git server.

While a "request-pull" would be fine, only developers with commit access
(and no need to post patches or requests) have access to the mythtv.org
git server. Everyone else is going to be going through the GitHub
mirror, and if you tell them to do a pull request, nearly everyone who
sees that will click the button on GitHub, and then give us a link to
that internal GitHub-specific mechanism.

> Can tell, you're not looking at much at submission tickets by your
> comments and try to make sense of what was provided :)

I usually do, but to be fair, I haven't committed much at in the last
several months.

> I for one welcome feature requests on trac and ask people we good
> suggestions to create a trac entry.

I do accept that having some kind of wishlist for users is a very useful
thing, and admit that the handful of wiki pages for that purpose are
clumsy to wade through, but I personally just think that cluttering up
trac with tickets that will likely never be touched is a bad idea.

There was a plan a while back to set up an IdeaTorrent site for that
purpose, but that plan fizzled out when we noticed that application
hasn't been updated in years.  Just now checking, the site no longer
even loads.