[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv branch master updated by cpinkham. v0.26-alpha-16-g2e9333d

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Mon Jul 23 04:33:10 UTC 2012

* On Sun Jul 22, 2012 at 01:02:12PM -0400, George Nassas wrote:
> AAC audio is terrific when it works but it's really sensitive to hiccups
> in the source material. I'm on OTA and this is the season for tropospheric
> interference so that's a problem for me. When there's a problem (a
> dropout?) in the program the aac encoder writes something that freaks
> out apple's player control and I get warbling or worse until the player
> snaps out of it. Sometimes I can fix it by jumping back in the recording

This may be due to timecodes.  I don't rebuild them currently, I just
follow what's in the source material and offset it to start at '1'.  If
there are dropouts in the source material, it could affect playback.  I'll
try to find a recording like this to test with, but if you can provide a
clip, that would help.  I was testing a patch the night before last that
will rebuild the timecodes based on the frames encoded, so that should
hopefully fix this issue.

> Streams with mp3 audio work even when there are huge dropouts in the
> source material so I'm going to use that until I see another aac-related
> commit. No rush. I'd suggest exposing the aac/mp3 setting for poor soles
> like me.

I'll look into the possibility of a setting.  If the patch I have fixes
the timecode gap issue then I wouldn't need a setting.

> You asked about my environment: I watch mostly on a macbook pro with

Thanks, so you're running fairly new firmware and software.  The sound
issues I'm seeing on my iPhone 3GS are probably not the same issue you're
seeing when you have a gap in an input file.

--
Chris