[mythtv] Mythfrontend intermittently missing menu on first launch

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 00:10:40 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jan 23, 2012 at 5:53 PM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 01/12/2012 12:14 PM, Alex Rasmussen wrote:
> >
> > I have just installed two new ASRock Vision 3D 137B (specs here:
> >
> http://www.asrock.com/nettop/overview.us.asp?Model=Vision%203D%20Series#Specifications
> > ) frontends for my system using openSUSE 12.1 x64. When booting a
> > unit, it will intermittently be missing the menu (only the theme
> > backdrop) is shown. Restarting the unit enough times will eventually
> > produce the menu.
> >
> > I have two other (Zotac) units running openSUSE 11.4 against the same
> > backend without problems.
> >

> The only time I've ever seen current mythfrontend (and 0.24.1+ should be
> current enough) hang without displaying the UI is when a user
> misconfigures the system--such as by telling MythTV that the database is
> on port 6543 (which is actually the backend port).  The Qt drivers try
> to connect, but never error out (or, at least, take longer to error out
> than most users are willing to wait).

In reading this, it could be possible that Myth is regenerating theme
caches also.  At least on my Zotac ION, this takes more than a couple
seconds and on very slow systems or network file systems, this might take
longer than someone is willing to wait and would also be something that
would go faster on the next restart due to some files already being cached
(if I understand the process correctly).