[mythtv] Thanks for the clang coverage

Daniel Thor Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Sun Dec 16 03:41:14 UTC 2012

On 12/10/2012 08:17 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> Thanks to Daniel K (I think it was Daniel K) for adding clang to the buildbots.
> clang has its issues, but its coverage is different from gcc/icc (catching
> some things gcc/icc miss, and missing some things they catch).  I know
> this is a "behinds the scenes" thing, but from my perspective the adding
> of icc, coverity, and clang coverage is an item worth noting in the release
> notes (along with the active elimination of warnings) under, perhaps, a
> title of "improved code quality".  It is real effort to clean up all
> the warnings,
> and it should not go under-appreciated.

Thanks for the kind words. We have been making good progress on fixing
these types of problems. Eric Hovland and Stuart Morgan also deserve
mention as active bug squashers. The effort to squash these types
of bugs began a few years ago when Eric Hovland started running
Coverity on the source and producing bug fixes. Since then Stuart and
Beirdo got automated cppchecks running and Coverity has given us free
access to their scans of our code (after Eric Sharkey contacted them
on our behalf). I added the icc and clang coverage since these compilers
also detect some problems gcc misses.

It can be a bit of a slog but for every 20 or so of the static
analysis detected problems addressed a user visible bug is fixed.
For the amount of effort expended that is a pretty good ROI.

BTW Your efforts to get us ready for Qt5 are appreciated. I have
every hope that transition will be a considerably smoother than
the transition to Qt4 was.

-- Daniel