[mythtv] RFE: Allowing backend to trigger S3 sleep while frontend is connected and idle

Petr Stehlik pstehlik at sophics.cz
Wed Sep 28 11:35:59 UTC 2011

Stuart Morgan píše v Út 27. 09. 2011 v 09:27 +0100:
> On Tuesday 27 Sep 2011 08:16:09 Petr Stehlik wrote:
> > Stuart Morgan píše v Po 26. 09. 2011 v 19:53 +0100:
> > > Right now I'm only working on allowing the backend to shutdown (or sleep
> > > if so configured) if frontends are idle, thus removing the need to use
> > > workarounds such as mythwelcome.
> >
> > Stuart, I am not sure how you define a frontend being idle - if based on
> > frontend-backend (lack of) communication or rather on detecting user
> > (in)activity on the frontend - but if it was the latter, could the idle
> > frontends quit as well? Because that is the missing feature that
> > MythWelcome and screensaver hacks are trying to work around.
>
> The latter. I could add an option to quit or shutdown the frontend when idle,
> but it's not something I'd personally use. May I ask what the purpose would be
> of quitting the frontend?

I have a script that starts the frontend upon booting the
machine/resuming from sleep and as soon as the frontend quits the
machine goes to sleep again. So normally when we finish watching the
MythTV we quit the frontend manually and then the machine falls asleep
(and then the backend goes to sleep as well automatically because there
are no frontends connected - that's an old and very useful feature of
mythbackend).

But if somebody forgets to quit the frontend it sits there, blocks the
backend from shutting down, blocks the TV from shutting down (it has an
automatic powersaving feature if there's no HDMI signal) thus it all
eats quantums of power bills until I notice and shut it down manually.

You're going to address the backend shutdown (80W power) but if there
was the idle frontend quit it would save much more CO2 :-) (80W + 60W +
160W at least :-)

Thanks

Petr