[mythtv] RFE: Allowing backend to trigger S3 sleep while frontend is connected and idle

Dan Wilga mythtv-dev2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Tue Sep 27 18:55:15 UTC 2011

On 9/27/11 11:58 AM, Simon Kenyon wrote:
> On 27/09/2011 14:34, Dan Wilga wrote:
>> I guess the ability to launch an arbitrary command would be best for me.
>> My family will often exit the room for extended periods of time, leaving
>> the computer and power-hungry plasma screen on. If it was an arbitrary
>> command, I could use a blaster to tell the TV to shut off and then
>> suspend the PC.
> not a good idea with a plasma. screen burn is a very real problem.
> i know the manufacturers say that it is mostly solved - but in reality
> it is not.
I do have a screen saver on it to prevent burn-in, but all too often I
come into the room to find it running, and that is a waste of electricity.

I have to say, plasma screens are the one case where screen savers
actually do something useful. For modern CRTs and especially LCDs,
they're just eye candy.