[mythtv] Compiling from source: Myth's own FFmpeg

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Fri Mar 4 17:40:34 UTC 2011

On 03/04/2011 12:35 PM, Robert Houghton wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am compiling Myth from source for the first time, and I saw that the
> git repo ships its own version of the ffmpeg source. Will this replace
> my existing ffmpeg libraries and/or executables?

No.  It will install libmythav* libraries, not libav* (and headers in
the mythtv include directory), so your existing ffmpeg install will be
unaffected.

> Is there a way to point the myth install to an existing ffmpeg instead?

No.  There's little to no API compatibility within ffmpeg development
due to the fast-changing nature of its development, so you need to use
the library code our app is written to use.

Mike