[mythtv] Compiling from source: Myth's own FFmpeg

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri Mar 4 17:40:36 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 9:35 AM, Robert Houghton <robbadler at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
> I am compiling Myth from source for the first time, and I saw that the git
> repo ships its own version of the ffmpeg source. Will this replace my
> existing ffmpeg libraries and/or executables?

Myth has always shipped with it's own version of the ffmpeg source/libraries.
No, it will not replace your existing ones, myth ffmpeg libraries have
different names and the headers are kept in a separate subdirectory.

Is there a way to point the
> myth install to an existing ffmpeg instead?

No, nor would you want to.  The reason we have our own fork of the
ffmpeg code is because we require additional modifications that are
unnecessary to or unlikely to be accepted by upstream as their goals
and ours differ.  Using a stock ffmpeg, were such a thing even
possible, would break substantial portions of MythTV.

Robert