[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r26117 by stuartm

David Blain MythTv at TheBlains.net
Sat Sep 4 23:52:34 UTC 2010

>       Author: stuartm
>         Date: 2010-09-04 21:40:39 +0000 (Sat, 04 Sep 2010) New Revision:
26117
>    Changeset: http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/26117
>
> Log:
>
> Properly translate some error strings in
> MythXMLClient::GetConnectionInfo(). Made a few coding
> standards/whitespace fixes while I was there.
>
> Modified:
>
>    trunk/mythtv/libs/libmythupnp/mythxmlclient.cpp

Why must people feel the need to reformat code and remove white space?

I understand when code is changed to fix bugs but to make changes just to
remove spaces seems like a waste of time and introduces regression issues if
not careful.  Also, it hides the reason for the actual change among all the
formatting changes.

For the record, I don't believe in limiting code to 80 columns.  I feel that
is rooted in the old 3270 Terminal era, and doesn't apply today with high
resolution displays.  If the code is more readable on one line, it should
stay on one line!

Also, when adjacent lines are similar to each other (i.e.: calling the same
function or setting object properties),   I like keeping all the parameters
lined up.  I believe this offers easier readability and allows for the use
of column marking and copying.

I know nothing will come of this e-mail, I just felt the need to vent.

David.