[mythtv] Using the cut list editor and future plans (was Re: [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r26111 - in trunk/mythtv by mdean)

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Sat Sep 11 01:12:10 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 10, 2010 at 12:15 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
> So the approach I went with was to disallow markers within cut areas.  If
> you have a too-large cut area that needs split into 2 sections, you can go,
> for example, to the end of the first cut area, then move cut end to here.
>  Then skip your 30s forward and add a new cut (or cut to
> beginning/end--which is almost always where you'll need this around here, at
> least) and then find the end of it and finish the cut.  If the commercial
> detection missed that this was actually 2 breaks, chances are you would have
> needed to do some adjustment of the final frame, anyway.  But, there's a
> better way...

How about this approach?  When adding a temporary cut mark, look only
within the current cut or preserve area for another cut mark (and if
one is found, add a new cut/preserve area within the current
preserve/cut area).  If a cut area or preserve area is deleted, remove
any temporary cut mark in the adjacent preserve or cut areas.  (Or if
only one adjacent area contains a temporary mark, leave it alone.)

By the way, I found a way to add a preserve area within an existing
cut area, using the undo mechanism in #8901.  Find the beginning of
the new preserve area, and move the end of the cutlist to that point.
Undo that operation, move to the end of the big cut area, and redo the
previous operation.  Finally, set a cut mark at the current location
(which is the end of the original big cut area), go back and find the
intended end of the new preserve area, and set another cut mark which
creates the other cut area.

> Instead, the crux of your concerns seems to be "losing a mark."
>  In reality, nothing was lost here--we simply removed a cut mark that we had
> artificially created from other data.

Exactly.  Your following proposal sounds interesting.

> *** I don't know enough about the commercial flagger to determine exactly
> how these blank frame markers would be added.  If they're typically a series
> of multiple blank frames, it could set a start and end frame.  If they're
> commonly single, it could set a single mark.  If they're commonly between
> every commercial, it could set them only before the first/last commercial or
> between each.

I'm pretty sure the commflagger finds the beginning and end frames of
the blank interval between the commercial and the program, and then
writes one value into the database and discards the other depending on
the appropriate setting.  Clearly both values could be saved if
desired.

Jim