[mythtv] Feature Request/RFC: A stable, extensible, third-party usable API

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Mon Oct 4 03:41:02 UTC 2010

On Thu, Sep 30, 2010 at 5:57 AM, Raymond Wagner <raymond at wagnerrp.com> wrote:

>> Yes, I'm looking through now. That's great, a fantastic starting point,
>> but (as always) more would be better. Any idea who's looking after this
>> code? Looks like it might be stuartm...
>
> You want dblain/cdev, or more recently beirdo.

I am currently doing some stuff to make a 'mythxml' module for
mythweb, which basically just exposes the MythXML interface via
mythweb and also allows you to configure the access to this module via
mythwebs settings page.  It is close to being ready to submit as a
ticket in the hope that it will be accepted into core mythweb.

The way I currently have it coded is that if a MythXML page is
supported by the backend natively, mythweb simply passes the call on
to the backend and returns whatever the backend returns.  There is
also the ability to add in other GetXXXX scripts, which will allow us
to to add more to the API, quickly, but since the API that the
end-user sees is XML, these extra Getters could hopefully be
incorporated in the core MythXML in the future.  (I just don't know
how to do that at this stage).

I have some questions for the developer mainly responsible for MythXML
though, so I will chat with beirdo, on this list soon.

If anyone wants to talk to me about what I have done so far, feel free
to shoot me an email.  I am happy to put the interim code somewhere
too (Google Code???) while I finish of the mythweb module.

Cheers,
Whytey