[mythtv] Understanding the myth source code

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Fri May 28 16:39:39 UTC 2010

On Fri, May 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM, Ed W <lists at wildgooses.com> wrote:
> On 25/05/2010 22:04, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>
>>  It all boils down to DVRs in general (not just MythTV) being less than
>> ideal for channel surfing.
>
> Actually I think it boils down to everytime this comes up everyone saying it
> can't be fixed and telling the OP to move on... :-)
>
> In the past I have tuned a good chunk of time out of the tuning process and
> shrunk the channel change time quite a bit. A lot of time has gone by since
> then and I never got round to cleaning it up for submit.  Roughly speaking
> though as you say there are some latencies you can't get rid of, but
> certainly there are lots of 100ms delays here and there that you can pinch
> and these start to add up to a sensible optimisations in the whole change
> time
>
> I think if people on the -dev list show some interest we could try and
> support that and perhaps give them some encouragement to dig deeper?  I
> think the point is still true that there is no silver bullet, but definitely
> if your target were to shave 100ms here and there then this is definitely
> do-able and I think it's got big benefits once a few people get stuck in?
>  What do you think?
>
> Good luck
>
> Ed W

I don't think anyone is saying improvements can't be made, only that
people seem to think there is going to be a single point of slowdown
and in reality it's probably a great many, as you mention.  I think we
are *all* for improving the Live TV experience, even if it's only to
avoid future whining without work to change it (which is not what I'm
implying has happened here).  We just don't *use* live TV and Myth
time is hard to come by for most of us these days, so it's not where
any of us tends to put our effort.

That said, it sounds like you feel you've made some impressive
optimizations, why not share them with the OP if you don't have the
time to clean them up for submission yourself? (I'm not being
facetious, I'm genuinely interested in seeing improvements throughout
myth, even when I don't use the particular functionality.)

Robert