[mythtv] Understanding the myth source code

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Fri May 28 16:35:25 UTC 2010

On 25/05/2010 22:04, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>  It all boils down to DVRs in general (not just MythTV) being less
> than ideal for channel surfing.

Actually I think it boils down to everytime this comes up everyone
saying it can't be fixed and telling the OP to move on... :-)

In the past I have tuned a good chunk of time out of the tuning process
and shrunk the channel change time quite a bit. A lot of time has gone
by since then and I never got round to cleaning it up for submit.
Roughly speaking though as you say there are some latencies you can't
get rid of, but certainly there are lots of 100ms delays here and there
that you can pinch and these start to add up to a sensible optimisations
in the whole change time

I think if people on the -dev list show some interest we could try and
support that and perhaps give them some encouragement to dig deeper?  I
think the point is still true that there is no silver bullet, but
definitely if your target were to shave 100ms here and there then this
is definitely do-able and I think it's got big benefits once a few
people get stuck in?  What do you think?

Good luck

Ed W