[mythtv] dvdbackup/vobcopy extension for MTD ?

Tom Dexter digitalaudiorock at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 21:49:10 UTC 2010

On Sat, Jan 16, 2010 at 7:05 AM, David <dogge2k at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just played with MTD and tried to import some DVDs. Sometimes I get an
> read error while copying the DVD to hard disk due to unreadable sectors.
> Using dvdbackup works fine and the program just ignores the corrupted
> blocks.
> I walked through the MTD code and found the location but I'm not sure if it
> is useful to fix it or to switch to other tools like dvdbackup or vobcopy. I
> think when using one of the external tools we have more options for the user
> and the tools may be updated more often.
> What are you thinking? Is it better to implement the use of an extern tool
> or shall I try to fix the MTD code?
>
> Thanks
> - David

I've been through about all native Linux methods of copying DVDs and
frankly you're lucky when dvdbackup works.  The "copy protected"
(read: intentionally broken consumer products, pioneered primarily by
the shitheads at Sony Pictures) DVDs that many companies are putting
out (with sectors corrupted on purpose) often defy being copied using
any native Linux program including dvdcopy.  A large percentage do in
fact copy, but I got so sick of screwing with the ones that don't that
these days I just use DVDFab HD Decrypter via wine:

http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm

That's the only method I always know will work.  Even with that, I
occasionally get something that won't copy without upgrading to the
newest version of DVDFab...so apparently there's a war of attrition
going on with this horrifically anti-consumer industry, and the DVDFab
programmers are one of the few keeping up with it.

Tom