[mythtv] dvdbackup/vobcopy extension for MTD ?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Jan 17 19:00:31 UTC 2010

On 01/16/2010 07:05 AM, David wrote:
> I just played with MTD and tried to import some DVDs. Sometimes I get
> an read error while copying the DVD to hard disk due to unreadable
> sectors. Using dvdbackup works fine and the program just ignores the
> corrupted blocks.
> I walked through the MTD code and found the location but I'm not sure
> if it is useful to fix it or to switch to other tools like dvdbackup
> or vobcopy. I think when using one of the external tools we have more
> options for the user and the tools may be updated more often.
> What are you thinking? Is it better to implement the use of an extern
> tool or shall I try to fix the MTD code?

TTBOMK, read errors--similar to what you're getting--are very common on
many commercial DVD's.  The publisher of the DVD creates a
not-to-specification DVD with some spots that cause read errors on
computer DVD drives, but that are ignored by STB DVD players, serving as
a form of copy protection.  mtd doesn't have any workarounds for copy
protection mechanisms and won't, but I'm sure the other programs you
tried do.  IMHO, the best approach is to use a different ripper.

Mike