[mythtv] Ideas for MythMusic rewrite

Steve Hodge stevehodge at gmail.com
Wed Jan 13 13:38:26 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 2:08 AM, Robert Pfeifer
<rpfeifer.public at gmail.com>wrote:

> Here's a suggestion I don't think anybody's mentioned yet. Even if it
> doesn't make it into the first version of the rewrite, I think it's worth
> raising now, so that the code can be ready to accept it later.
>
> Simply - suppose you have music as both MP3s and video files? It would be
> nice to be able to queue your music videos in the MythMusic player as well
> as your MP3s. MythMusic could then spawn the internal video player as
> appropriate.

I bought this up earlier - it's my biggest desire for MythMusic.

> After all, the distinction between music and non-music is ultimately one of
> content, not filetype, so if MythMusic is to be a music player plugin, as
> opposed to an MP3 player plugin :-), it should aim to incorporate this
> functionality.

I agree completely. I'd like to see Myth move away from handling things
differently based on what type of media it is (video v music) or where it
came from (TV v video file) and move towards handling things based on what
the media actually is (episode v movie/one off show v music v audio book
etc). I think videos in MythMusic would be a great feature even if nothing
else ever changes though.

Cheers,
Steve