[mythtv] ATSC question

Devin Heitmueller devin.heitmueller at gmail.com
Wed Feb 24 03:50:17 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Tim <blooflame at comcast.net> wrote:
> Maybe I misread the ATSC specs. I thought the content provider was
> responsible for providing the CIDs, as part of the header for each segment
> of programming sent. In any event I was not thinking of some sort of guide
> info download, but rather content identifiers sent at the beginning of each
> new section of content, in order. That's really the only effective way I
> could see for things like a V-chip or other content filtering to work.
>
> I'll go back and read the specs again.

The content provider does provide the relevant information out-of-band
(for things like the Vchip info).  However, it is the responsibility
of the broadcaster to properly inject the info into the PSIP stream
(along with all the other PSIP content).  It's not like the old system
where the info was embedded in VBI and the cable provider just passed
it through.

If the goal is to prevent youngsters from watching things they are not
supposed to be allowed to, then indeed reading the PSIP info might be
a good idea (since it would work even in cases where the SD info was
incorrect).  However, given it only works for ATSC (and not ClearQAM),
it might be of limited usefulness.

--
Devin J. Heitmueller
http://www.devinheitmueller.com