[mythtv] mythtv commit: r23435 - in trunk/mythtv by mdean

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Thu Feb 4 16:32:17 UTC 2010

David Engel <david at istwok.net> says:
> The long delete problem with ext3 does appear to have been addressed
> in recent kernels.  I did some very unscientific tests on two
> different systems running 2.6.31.12 and was able to delete 10 GiB
> files in roughly 0.20 to 0.30 seconds.  That's still not as good as
> XFS and others, but it's a lot better than before.

I agree 0.2-0.3 seconds per 10GB is much better than the bad old days,
but the times are *so* improved that I suspect what you are seeing is
something else, like caching. Daniel's 2.283 seconds/10GB is much more
realistic but still improved.

(In any case, even achieving Daniel's times is unlikely anytime soon
for people like me using older, EXT3-based NAS appliances. There's a
reason why I never considered going with EXT3 when building my current
MythTV arrays.)

The real test will come this Sunday, actually, from the Super Bowl; an
MPEG-2 HD recording of one from a couple of years back was 45GB.

--
Frontend/backend:	P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array