[mythtv] mythtv commit: r23435 - in trunk/mythtv by mdean

David Engel david at istwok.net
Thu Feb 4 01:21:06 UTC 2010

On Wed, Feb 03, 2010 at 12:35:42PM -0500, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-02-03 at 11:24 -0500, Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> > Does ext3 actually still require slow delete?  I get the impression from
> > the developers that it does not.
> >
> > At least my mythtv box runs with slow delete disabled and I use ext3
> > and it seems a lot better than it did with slow delete enabled.
> >
> > That wasn't the case long ago with older kernels of course.
>
> Dunno about the latest and greatest kernels, but it here
> it takes 2.283 seconds to delete a 1 hr video file on ext3
> with Linux 2.6.28 (10 GB). We want deletes to take less
> than 0.01 seconds but can tolerate 0.04 to 0.21 seconds
> depending on other factors.

The long delete problem with ext3 does appear to have been addressed
in recent kernels.  I did some very unscientific tests on two
different systems running 2.6.31.12 and was able to delete 10 GiB
files in roughly 0.20 to 0.30 seconds.  That's still not as good as
XFS and others, but it's a lot better than before.

David
--
David Engel
david at istwok.net