[mythtv] Seek (back and forth) broken in MythTV trunk r23186

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Feb 1 23:00:11 UTC 2010

On 02/01/2010 02:34 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:

>> So am I correct in reading the changeset, that 'StickyKeys' continues
>> to exist but as an internal code? C++ is NOT my bag!
>
> Nope. :)  (It's still in your DB, but the only place the setting exists
> in code is in the DB updates that fix key bindings for users.)
>
> The StickyKeys setting was a setting that just changed the meaning of
> key bindings.  The proper solution to getting the StickyKeys behavior is
> to have the appropriate actions available and allow users to customize
> their key bindings as desired.
>
> Basically, we already had something for configuring how keys work (key
> bindings), so using a setting to configure how keys work just obscured
> the behavior and made configuring Myth more confusing.  Really, how many
> people would guess, "To adjust my keys, rather than go into Edit Keys, I
> need to go into TV Playback settings and ..."?
>
> So, I took what was a setting for changing key bindings and made it into
> what it should have been--key bindings.
>
> Granted, at the time the setting was introduced, we didn't have
> MythControls (an easy GUI approach for editing key bindings), and we
> didn't have the absolute seeks, and ...  So, it's one of those things
> that made sense at the time, but is OBE (and, IMO, needed updating for
> the current design of Myth).
>
> Now, if you mean, "Does the functionality provided by StickyKeys exist?"
> the answer is, "Yes."  Had I recognized the change to the
> relative/absolute seeks when I did the original change, I would have
> handled it at that point.  Unfortunately, I just forgot the overloaded
> functionality for those keys.  So thank you (and thanks to Albert) for
> letting me know about the additional effects of the change.
>
> My goal is to take a lot of the settings we've acquired over the years
> that are now buried in the settings area of MythTV and move them to
> places where they make more sense.***  The shear number of times on the
> list I quote settings and their help text and have to explain where to
> find them tells me we need to simplify things a bit.  :)  (Not to
> mention all the "if you have this set, then this happens, otherwise, if
> you have this set, then this other things happens, unless you also have
> this set, then ..." type responses I send.)
>
> Mike
>
> ***And, once we change the action processing as David Engel mentioned
> earlier in the thread, this particular change will make configuration
> even more intuitive as we'll allow users to associate FFWDSTICKY and
> FFWDRELATIVE or FFWDSTICKY and FFWDABSOLUTE or SEEKFFWD and FFWDRELATIVE
> or ... (or whatever the new "unbundled" actions turn out to be) to the
> same key.

Thanks for the explanation. Of course, it makes sense that things just
grew like topsy.
Regarding your goal and the problems of explanations, I have long
thought that the docs need a re-write to cover some of this. Keys.txt
needs to be better laid out and explained, and include a reverse lookup
(what does 'E' do?). And the error messages need to be referenced
somehow I think.

Even Linux Format magazine trashes mythtv for the trials and
tribulations of installation, when theproblems are not due to myth at
all. Thankfully we have this list.

Geoff