[mythtv] mythtv commit: r21860 by danielk

Chris Pinkham cpinkham at bc2va.org
Tue Sep 15 18:43:05 UTC 2009

* On Tue Sep 15, 2009 at 01:33:48PM -0400, Daniel Kristjansson wrote:
> > I'd also hoped to seem some discussion on how to better handle DB
> > fixes in 0.22-fixes and a possible 0.22-plus before things get added
> > to trunk/0.23.  If that discssuion has already happened, see above and
> > please tell me where it is summarized.
>
> If there was discussion I missed it, but my assumption was always that
> 0.22-plus would have a frozen DB schema.

I don't recall one and I can think of arguments on both sides of the
fence.  It would be nice if users could switch between a 0.22-fixes and
0.22-plus without having to up/down-grade their database.  That may
restrict what items can be backported though, so we might have to
take that on a case by case basis.  If any DB updates are carried over
to 0.22-plus, they should be exactly as they are in trunk, and they
should not break backwards (ie, 0.22-fixes) compatibility.  It would
be nice to have the ability to downgrade the DB, but I don't see that
as a possiblity in every case with the amount of data we have that changes.
The downgrade would also have to be in the newer code which makes it a
bit harder.

<tongueincheek>
Maybe we need a 0.22-plus which is DB compatible with 0.22-fixes as well
as a 0.22-plusplus which is DB compatible with trunk. :)
</tongueincheek>

--
Chris