[mythtv] [RFC] Proposal: Not to version translations' qm files

Reynaldo H. Verdejo Pinochet reynaldo at osp.fi
Mon Nov 2 02:04:47 UTC 2009

Hello

Nigel Pearson wrote:
> If you can't easily build the .qm files,
> you have to download them from somewhere,
> matching the source code and .ts versions.

As far as I know there is no reason for them to
match. At runtime (if found) the qm files are used,
regardless of what the .ts files might have.

> Its not the end of the world if they don't match

Sure its not.

> perfectly, but having them in SVN (and versioned)
> isn't a huge problem either?

There is no point on versioning a generated binary
file on a source code repository. Those shouldn't
even be there to begin with.

> We are saving builders time by giving them .qm files!

Come on. You must be kidding :)

> That said, it isn't the end of the world if we
> add another dependence (on qt-translate).

Yes, I don't think thats a problem but keep in mind
it doesn't even have to be that way if you don't like.
We can have an alternate way of distributing those qm
files, maybe a tarball, dunno. Not saying is a good
idea, just saying.

Best regards

--
Reynaldo