[mythtv] Current status/stability of trunk ...

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 14:39:52 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 7:29 AM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> This message is intended to people running trunk as their main/live system.
>
> How is stability now as of late?
> Last time I tried (mid-jan) ; mythfrontend would segfault 4 out 5
> times at startup.

This is the hallmark of an unclean build environment-- (ie old
versions of the core Myth libs in the library directory being linked
against).  You want to make sure to clear *all* of libmyth* and
path/to/libs/mythtv/plugins/* out before building myth.

> The progress bar showing the theme pictures being rescaled was showing
> in the top-right corner and wasn't displayed properly on my nvidia
> based PC (though on intel IGP it would display fine).
>
> And in mythvideo (probably the plugin I used the most) ; in listing
> mode , the actual window containing the list of all the files was
> using less than a quarter of the available screen space ; making it
> impossible to read the file name (only about 6-7 characters would be
> displayed)

Both of these are theme issues.  Terra is a work in progress and any
screen that isn't done yet would fall back to the default (often 4:3)
version of the screen in themes/default or themes/default-wide.  You
should be able to lay out a basic screen in just a few minutes, should
you be so inclined.

Mythvideo and MythMusic are certainly the most unstable plugins at the
moment.  At least three of us are working on major changes on
MythVideo and I would venture to say that none of us considers those
changes "done" yet.  It is almost undoubtedly more unstable than the
last time you tried.   Probably *much* moreso.  I hope to have all the
stuff I have half-implemented in MythVideo "done-ish" in a month or
two.  Some/much of this relies on other people who are working on
their own patches that I need the functionality of to finish, so my
own personal timeline might get longer than that.

Robert