[mythtv] Mythvideo and fanart - minor defects

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 16:25:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Mar 9, 2009 at 12:30 AM,  <paul10 at planar.id.au> wrote:

> I've raised a defect, http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6333, with an
> attached patch for this.

Thanks, this is now solved.

> I think I fixed the core problem with fanart, but I saw some inconsistency
> in the videodlg.cpp v's the data that is in the settings table.  The
> settings screen seems to recognise screenshots, banners and fanart.  The
> code looks to recognise fanart and videoart.  It wasn't clear to me what
> videoart was in the context of the settings screen, so I suspect these two
> areas of code have gotten a little out of synch.  I'm not familiar enough
> with the intent to submit a patch for it.  More details are in teh defect.

It's actually not inconsistent-- the videoart (actually coverart for
all intents and purposes) and fanart stuff you are seeing is the
download code.  The DB and UI stuff exists for coverart, fanart,
banners, and screenshots.  So while it might appear inconsistent, it's
really that my patch adds UI and DB functionality to bring the total
to four items, and download functionality to bring the total to two
(coverart and fanart).  This is because a) we don't have a downloader
capable of banners and screenshots and b) the download code is getting
ripped out and replaced as I was talking about a bit earlier.

So, to summarize:

You can now download the fanart and coverart
You can now set up imagetypes in the UI and DB entries for fanart,
coverart, screenshot, and banner.

Regarding screenshots and banner, they work, there's just no automated
way of getting them just yet.  I personally have a little script that
generates screenshots for anything in videometadata that doesn't have
them, but I know that Stuart Morgan has done some work on generalizing
the preview generation code, and with any luck that will be working
with the screenshot UI/DB stuff just committed by .22.

Just to touch on a "good to know" point that you didn't bring up, but
is worth getting out there, my patch also adds storage group
functionality to trailers, coverart, fanart, banners, and screenshots.
 It is *not* automatic, though and is a work in progress.  You can set
up these Storage Groups, but in order for the streaming the work, the
following need to be true:

1.  The record's Host field must not be empty (ie, the video must be
in a video storage group too).
2.  The entries must be relative to the root of the storage group, not
the absolute path, so:

     if your fanart storage group is /MythMedia/fanart/

     and

     if you have a Fanart file called "Star Wars.jpg" on Host "MyPC"
which also has a video storage group containing the movie.

     the fanart entry should be "Star Wars.jpg" and the Host entry
should be "MyPC".

3.  The filenames for the images should not start with a /.

All of the preceding is going to be very familiar to anyone who has
been playing with MythVideo storage groups over the past few weeks,
but it seemed worth mentioning.  Yes, storage group stuff needs a bit
of rethinking in light of the recent expansion of new media to use it.
 It also needs a method for a frontend-only machine to stream a file
into a storage group.  Perhaps if Chris Pinkham is reading this he
might be able to lend some insight?  Chris, I'd really like to be able
to have the metadata downloaders check if the item has a host set, and
if so, download the images straight into the appropriate storage group
on that host.  This means being able to do so from a frontend only
machine.  This is probably also relevant to DVD ripping on a frontend
only machine where Storage Groups are used exclusively.

Robert