[mythtv] Mythvideo and fanart - minor defects

paul10 at planar.id.au paul10 at planar.id.au
Mon Mar 9 19:56:52 UTC 2009

> Thanks, and outside of this little blip I hope you're enjoying the
> fanart/banner/screenshot functionality!

I am - I'm really looking forward to it, and I see this morning updates to
Terra to use it.

I was wondering how the fanart was going to work with sites like tmdb.
They have a list of fanart for each movie, and they don't seem to have a
great way to separate fanart from banners from covers - so it is hard to
tell which you are getting.

It seems to me that the distinction is largely aspect ratio - so a
cover/poster is portrait, fanart/banners are landscape.  I know that is a
bit simplistic, but if you think about where we use them it kind of fits.

Anyway, in an ideal world (i.e. a world where someone does a lot of coding
just to make me happy....) we would have some logic that pulls down the
thumbnails for each of these, and lets you pick which one you want.  We'd
then download that one and store it as the fanart or the cover as
appropriate.  That probably implies merging the download code bases -
since tmdb seems to give all the images back in a single list.

Is this the kind of thing you're thinking of when you say you're rewriting
the download code?  Are we keeping the grabbers, with just the myth end of
it rewritten, or are the grabbers going away too?  I kind of like the
grabbers, although the error handling could be better.