[mythtv] vdpau on 8800 gts 640?

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 18:23:58 UTC 2009

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM, Ken and Timi Cecka
<ceckak at alumni.washington.edu> wrote:
> On Sunday 18 January 2009 5:43:37 pm Ken and Timi Cecka wrote:
>> If anyone knows for sure that the 8800 GTS 640 is or is not supported by
>> VDPAU, I'd be interested in knowing.  If this card is expected to work, is
>> there anything useful I can do to debug this further?
>
> After a little more search for 8800 gtx, I came across this, which probably
> answers my question:
>
> "There's something about Nvidia's numbering system that should be understood.
> The 8800GTX won't work with VDPAU. Why? Because it was actually released
> before some of the other 8k series cards that have the newer PureVideo 2
> hardware. The 8800GTS 512 will work though. Confusing enough? All 9k cards and
> GTX cards will work, as well as all other 8k cards (that I know of). No 7k or
> older cards will work, nor will any AGP card that I know of. So far, the 9300
> mobile/motherboard chip is the only one that will decode VC1/WMV3. All of the
> other supported cards will decode standard-def DVDs and x264 files. No other
> MPEG4 codecs, for instance Divx/Xvid, will work with VDPAU."

> Ken

NVidia has played this naming game for a while. They have chipset
names and then "card series" numbers. So in reality your card may say
"8800" but it is in fact the same chipset used on what is commonly
thought of as the 7xxx series cards. There are also so 9xxx cards that
use the common 8xxx series cards chipset.

It's a marketing game for them when selling to gamers. I don't know
why they didn't just release a list of the chipsets VDPAU is set to
work with and then let people check wikipedia, etc to see what chipset
they have. It would have made things much clearer in terms of what
supports VDPAU.

--
Steve
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User:Steveadeff