[mythtv] mythmovie grabber issue (ToS)

Matt S. skd5aner at gmail.com
Thu Jan 15 16:00:17 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Brad DerManouelian
<myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:

> Boxee does this.

So - how (where) exactly does Boxee get all this data that doesn't
violate any Terms of Service and why can't myth do the same?  I keep
seeing all these other cool apps that gather metadata for movies,
videos, CDs, showtimes, weather, etc, and all of them can only get it
a couple of different ways:

1) Find a place that provides an open service to get the data from
2) Find a place that provides a closed service, and get permission to
use it (or pay for it)
3) Violate various sites ToS and do it anyway

I understand why myth is trying to stay on the "right side" of the
argument here, but there are a lot of other apps (even FOSS apps) that
get this data some how.  Some of them are getting extremely popular -
so why not follow in their footsteps and do whatever it is their doing
that works for them?

Also - to play devil's advocate - has any site/service/etc ever
complained to myth about ToS issues?  Did IMDB ever notice myth users
retrieving data and ask for that to be removed?  Again, I understand
why things like that have been removed - just wish their was a better
alternative. I don't have an iPhone, but look at all the apps out
there that do this exact same sort of thing... restaraunt finders,
sports scores, etc.  I can't even imagine how many movie showtime apps
there probably are.

Anyway - just hoping that whatever myth can do in these areas
(showtimes, video/tv/music metadata, etc) can be as full featured and
at least on par with some of the other alternatives we've used in the
past.  I'm know the devs are trying to get there as well.

Thanks!
Matt