[mythtv] mythmovie grabber issue (ToS)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Jan 14 16:37:04 UTC 2009

On Jan 14, 2009, at 8:28 AM, Josh Lefler wrote:

> MythMovies shells out to the grabber as an external program, then
> receives back XML. It would be possible to write a sort of
> "MetaGrabber"
> that shells out to various other grabbers then combines the results
> into
> one XML block to be returned to MythMovies.
>
> I'm not necessarily advocating this approach and wouldn't have a
> problem
> with the idea of multiple grabbers in MythMovies itself, but its an
> option to consider.
>
> If someone did implement multiple grabbers in MythMovies itself, they
> would need to consider what to do with multiple listings for a given
> theater or movie in the various sources - especially if these entries
> have conflicting data.

Boxee does this. It will use multiple grabbers depending on what you
tell it the content is (TV, video, music, etc.) from multiple sources.
It then presents a list back to the user to choose the best one, much
the same way you choose from a list of results that come back from
IMDB when you search for a movie remake or something like "Nocturne"
that has many videos associated with it.

I think it's reasonable to combine all results into that same list you
get from a single grabber with multiple results which is pretty much
what you're suggesting at the top there. The only difference is that
it should say which source it came from so you can pick the one you
trust the most.

-Brad