[mythtv] Firewire with QIP7100 stb from Verizon FiOS

Dan Rollo bha at att.net
Tue Jan 13 08:42:00 UTC 2009

Just a quick note in case it helps others, and/or could be made into a patch.

I'm using FiOS tv and connecting two Motorola QIP7100 set top boxes via ieee1394 (firewire). (via firewire Broadcast - not peer to peer).
I've done the firewire stabilization steps and also the cold boot steps as well.
Using the "Firewire" video device setup in MythTV .21, I am able to change channels, but video is not showing after the channel change. Therefore, I can't use the nice "Firewire" video device in mythtv.

As a workaround, I'm using the SVideo inputs of a PVR-500 and the channel change program: 6200ch. I had to add my vendor and model info to make the 6200ch work with these boxes. Here's the info so it could hopefully be added to the trunk source:

#define QIP7100_VENDOR_ID1 0x00001fc4
#define QIP7100_MODEL_ID1  0x00008100

(I also added these variables to the "if" checks for vendor and model).

Hope this helps someone else.

That said, has anyone been able to get firewire video with a QIP7100?

Thanks,
Dan Rollo