[mythtv] [mythtv-commits] mythtv commit: r19649 - in trunk/mythtv/themes by paulh

Paul Harrison mythtv at sky.com
Mon Jan 12 19:28:57 UTC 2009

Stuart Auchterlonie wrote:
> mythtv at cvs.mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>       Author: paulh
>>         Date: 2009-01-11 22:29:01 +0000 (Sun, 11 Jan 2009)
>> New Revision: 19649
>>    Changeset: http://cvs.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/19649
>>
>> Added:
>>
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/G.A.N.T/htmls/
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/G.A.N.T/htmls/progdetails_page1.html
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/G.A.N.T/htmls/progdetails_page2.html
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/blue/htmls/
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/blue/htmls/progdetails_page1.html
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/blue/htmls/progdetails_page2.html
>>
>> Modified:
>>
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/G.A.N.T/ui.xml
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/blue/ui.xml
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/default/htmls/progdetails_page1.html
>>    trunk/mythtv/themes/default/htmls/progdetails_page2.html
>>
>> Log:
>>
>> Remove the old program details screen from the Blue and GANT themes and add
>> the themed HTML files.
>>

> Why are you doing the program details screens in html and not putting
> the effort into converting them straight to mythui?
>
> The general consensus in #mythtv is that this isn't the right way to be
> going with this. Feel free to drop in to discuss.
>

> Stuart A

Don't be fooled by the html pages that screen IS all MythUI ;-) Actually
the old screen used similar method for display, except  it used RTF not
HTML, everything  _was_   hardcoded at least you can easily change it
now :-)

I used the progdetails screen as a test bed for the MythUIWebBrowser so
I actually wrote most of this ages ago and has been sitting here unloved
for some time now. I did say here on the dev list way back in November
that I had a version of this screen that used the WebBrowser widget that
could replace the broken QT one so why didn't you speak up then?

I don't think using individual text widgets to display this stuff is
going to work very well IMHO.  There are about  36 different pieces of
information that can appear on this screen. What is actually shown
depends on the program you are looking at. Some may have a short
description, some like the RT reviews are often very long and would take
up half a screen on their own, some don't have a description at all.
Same for the actrors, directors  etc etc.  I think the current screen
does a good job of showing all that info in a concise and easy to read
way, only showing what is relevant for the current program.  Doing that
using individual widgets without having lots of redundant information or
blank spaces or truncated long descriptions and  long lists of actors
isn't going to be easy.

Anyway if you feel so strongly about this there is nothing stopping you
from changing it :-).  I just see it as one less screen that needs
converting to MythUI. Which is a good thing right? Do with it whatever
you want :-)

Paul H.